Musikinstrumente + Verlag GmbH

MOECK • Lückenweg 4  D-29227 Celle

Tel +49-5141-8853-0  info(at)

Recorder terminology – from A to Z

"How are the single parts of the recorder actually called?"

The fact that the recorder is not just a simple instrument, as it may initially appear, becomes abundantly clear when talking to a recorder builder, or for example when writing a seminar paper about the instrument. 


Anyone seeking advice in books or trade articles about recorders soon realizes that the technical terms are not universal. One writer may refer to the labium, the other may call it the lip, others may call it the edge. The same applies for example to the mouth piece resp. beak, the tone holes resp. finger holes and so on.


The chart illustrated here is designed to help students, pupils and recorder players everywhere to recognize the individual parts of the recorder, as well as learning their names. All the terms used here have been taken from recognized literature.